Past Transgressions

Thursday, March 29, 2012

TROGLODYTES

If you try to Google or Wikiped'(I hope that is the equivalent to "Googling") the title of my post you will get a wide range of meanings but I intend to use it in a way which describes man (not all men but a special breed), not as the man he is but an untamed, wild, uncivilized savage of the old world.

Why the hostility? you may ask. Well, I have a valid explanation for my hostility and anger towards the Troglodytes. My profession doesn't allow me to discriminate. Not on the basis of cast, color or creed. Its not only in my Hippocratic Oath but also doesn't feel right to differentiate between people who when cut bleed all the same (except hemophiliacs, well they bleed a little differently). And neither have I ever discriminated between the rich and the poor, the black or the white, the famous or the infamous, the list goes on, you can imagine. And never did I think I would ever discriminate. But of late I am beginning to have feelings, not emotions (emotion is too strong a word to associate it with my vanity). These feelings are leaving me madder and madder with each passing day. 



Let me get to the point. We all are human beings, accepted. We all face challenges in our daily ordeal to survive, accepted. Often we cannot cross the barriers, more often than not we cannot jump through the hurdles life throws our way. We embrace dejection and rejection more often than we bathe (or brush, as is the case for some). We do not live in a utopia and in my opinion the word "utopia" is reduced to just a mere word in the dictionary. I am not a pessimist but when you really open your eyes to the world, not the world where you lived protected by your parents in a bubble, you will understand that pain and sadness is eternal. We cannot function without it. We, in fact might actually be addicted to pain. Why else would Shelly write, I quote:
"We look before and after,

And pine for what is not:
Our sincerest laughter
With some pain is fraught;
Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest, thought."
Getting back to my point. We all face failures. It leaves us frustrated. Some sleep over it, some cry and whine till they get exhausted and sleep over it. Some leap off a cliff, some take it to the noose and some find solace in insecticides. Congratulations to those who succeeded because as selfish as they were, they sure don't have any hurdles to worry about, not anymore. And the unsuccessful attempts, ah, don't get me started about them, they are a sub-group of the Troglodytes whom I am about to introduce shortly. 
And then there are these "Troglodytes" who take it out on the bottle. Yes, we need a portal to vent out our frustrations lest we all shall turn into serial killers with all that pent up anger! For me, this is my portal. I let it out of me. It doesn't matter if anyone reads it or not. The important thing is when I jot it down, its out of me and out there somewhere in the universe so it doesn't eat me up. Well, the Troglodytes (I gotta check myself for Attention Deficit Disorder, I wander so far away from my point sometimes) take it out on the bottle. While it has been proven by "studies" that drinking a glass or two a week is actually healthy for our heart, it doesn't mean we are gonna get super human hearts if we gulp up a bottle in a go! And it wouldn't really be my concern if these Troglodytes drank themselves to their deaths. As cold as I may sound, its not my problem. But it becomes my problem when their loved ones, yes, the very loved ones whom the Troglodytes hurt in ways more than one, bring the Troglodytes to the Emergency Ward of the hospital where I work.

Some fall from heights, not really a surprise. Some break ATMs with their bare hands and are then cuffed by the police and brought for medical examination. Some get driven on by other Troglodytes and some go on a shooting spree. Accept it or not, it is really hard not to discriminate against them. I mean, for Gods sake, have a drink and lull yourself to sleep. The world already has enough bullshit without these Troglodytes adding more to it. And I know its not my place to judge their actions but silently, without discrimination administer the health care for which they have come to me. But then I think about the other patients who are actually ill with a disease, which they didn't bring upon themselves. I think about how my services would be more useful for them, instead of the drunken fools. I despair when I ponder how much of the Government budget is being spent on something which could be avoided. How we have to use limited resources for these Trogs, when we could use the same resources in aiding the truly ailed. How the ambulance services have to be assigned to harbingers of violence. How the helpless Police officers have to take these Troglodytes to safety and aid, the very ones who disrupt the peace the officers die trying to uphold. Such feelings are the ones racing my mind. Would you blame me if I harbor such thoughts against them Troglodytes because I am yet to come upon a constitution whose penal code doesn't incarcerate an individual for the commission of a crime as a result of voluntary drunkenness or intoxication!

PS. I heard the term "Troglodyte" for the first time in The Adventures of Tintin : The Secret of the Unicorn, from Captain Haddock :)

4 comments:

  1. Most troglodytes don't see their own selfishness for what it is until it's too late. Often, those who recognise it feel compelled to redeem themselves. A little understanding goes a long way. Believe me, Yowaan, I know troglodytes. I was one myself.

    And I'm not sure I've deserved the honour but thanks for adopting me your mentor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir, I, for one, am not ready to believe you to be one such troglodyte. You have a heart that lifts other hearts. You have taught us and you have taught us well. But the lessons I hold dear aren't the ones that you taught in a classroom. I am humbled that you accept me as your mentee :)

      Delete
  2. I know the feeling when a trog comes past midnight to seek medical attention, the rage in me makes myself another trog, and absentmindedly i start venting out all of my day's frustration on him. but little would u realize, what, what made him seek ur help, remember daksaab, he is a trog, and trogs dont seek help that often. and have u questioned to urself, what made that trog a trog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daksaab, I know not the reason why trogs are trogs. I have tried to reason and failed. I guess non trogs are just stronger than trogs, when it comes to emotional stability, but that is my opinion. I cannot discriminate so I silently swallow my judgement and do what I must, as a doctor.

      Delete